The Stage 2 Richlands to Springfield Project will provide key public transport infrastructure to support the expected population growth in the western corridor. The project will deliver a 9.5km dual track passenger rail line between Richlands and Springfield, extending the city rail network to this rapidly growing area.
Uni-span Formwork Solutions secured this contract by providing a cost effective and time saving solution to create the 22m wide x 12m high arch forms which will become the support structures for the elevated bridge.
Uni-span’s MK system has ensured the fast assembly of a very complex structure. Further, Niepe are concreting the arches in one pour. Uni-span’s solution was the only one which allowed that sequence.
Tony Pepe, Director of Niepe Construction Pty Ltd
Uni-span Formwork Solutions was able to provide a “one pour” solution by using the skilfully designed travelling MK system.
The $475 million project was completed in 2013 and built:
- Two train stations — Springfield (near Woodcrest College) and Springfield Central (near Orion Shopping Centre)
- A 9.5 km dual track rail line from Richlands to Springfield
- Safety and capacity improvements on the Centenary Highway
- Changes to the local road network with two crossings under the Centenary Highway from Springfield Central station to the Orion Shopping Centre
- A cycle path from Johnson Road, Carole Park to the Springfield Link Bridge
- A pedestrian and cycle path between Springfield station and Springfield Central station.