The Tintenbar to Ewingsdale section of the Pacific Highway upgrade is about 17 kilometres in length starting at the northern end of the Ballina bypass at Ross Lane and extending to the Ewingsdale interchange. Lend Lease were awarded the contract to design and build the project. Major construction works commenced mid-year 2012, with the expected completion date during the first half of 2015 (weather permitting). This $862 million project has three main objectives being, improved road safety, uninterrupted highway traffic flow and easy access on and off the highway for local traffic.
Uni-span Formwork Solutions worked very closely with the project’s onsite engineers and their design requirements when designing this masterpiece of a structure. Over 200 tonnes of Formwork products were supplied to Lend Lease in the form of the following systems:
- ORMA shutters
- MK Travelling gantry
- Special fabricated formwork to suit curved tunnel walls
Scaffold towers were erected for easy access across the formwork system, including special arch forms which assisted with the unique requirements of our client when it came to inspection holes and pouring windows. This allowed Lend Lease to perform all their necessary checks throughout the concrete pouring process. Uni-span’s formwork design team really showcased their innovative engineering and our solution driven formwork products, as it took advanced engineering and drafting skills to put this complex structure together.
Weather played a challenging part of the build with heavy rains endured.
- Interchanges for motorists to safely enter and exit the highway.
- A four lane divided road, with a wide median allowing for the future addition of a third lane in each direction when required.
- A motorway standard highway with a 110 km/h speed limit and no access for traffic between interchanges.
- Separated local traffic and highway traffic by providing a continuous alternative local road link between Tintenbar and Ewingsdale for school buses and motorists who do not wish to use the upgraded highway.
Please contact technical sales representative Rhys McGregor, if you have any queries about this formwork system or would like more information:
0414 197 128