Please take note of this important change,
regarding our Uni-mesh™ containment.
Due to the containment fires (on construction sites) late last year and the relevant Safety Alerts that came about because of these incidents; Uni-span are preempting that WHS Regulations and Australian Standards will be updated to accommodate a fire retardant containment system for scaffolding.
Uni-span is a member of SAQ (Scaffolding Association of QLD) where AS/NZS 1576.1:2019 (Scaffolding General Requirements) has been discussed in several forums regarding these containment fire incidents.
We anticipate that this change will happen in the near future. We want to be able to prepare our clients and the market for this anticipated change, and have the right product ready for use.
As a result, Uni-span have made the decision to only manufacture Uni-mesh™ FR (Fire Retardant) moving forward.
As per Safework NSW Safety Alert, a key consideration was made stating,
Many materials and substances found in workplaces are flammable or combustible. The risks associated with a certain material or substance may not be immediately obvious. Subsequently, independent testing of building materials for fire hazard properties is required to appropriately assess and control the risks.
There is no current Australian standard or industry guidance that prescribes acceptable performance criteria for the flammability of containment netting / sheeting.
This key consideration confirms that the non FR (Fire retardant) Uni-mesh™ and Uni-grid™ are still compliant for use until further updates/notice is received from the relevant authorities.
Whilst we have a strong customer focus, Uni-span’s priority is safety. In preparation that this AU standard changes, Uni-span are ready to supply a compliant product.
The difference between
original Uni-mesh™ and Uni-mesh™ FR:
Uni-mesh™ Fire Retardant, also known as Uni-mesh™ FR, holds the same features and benefits as Uni-span’s standard Uni-mesh™ product. The only difference is a fire retardant additive to the manufacturing process that allows this product to comply with the ABCB Flammability Index, in accordance with AS 1530.2-1993 (Methods for fire tests on building materials, components and structures; Part 2: Test for flammability of materials). Uni-mesh™ FR is identifiable by red strip within the mesh.
What makes Uni-span’s patented
Uni-mesh™ FR product unique?
- Prescribed lining is steel wire reinforced (like the original Uni-mesh™).
- All ends are folded and then welded, ensuring no protruding of steel reinforcement.
- Uni-mesh™ FR can be installed easily by cable ties or KwikAz clips (ready to install & rolls up after use).
- Unlike other “replica” fibre reinforced products, Uni-mesh™ FR does not require re-testing after 2 years.
Uni-mesh™ FR Product Information
- Fire retardant containment system for scaffolding
- Versatile product for use in all sectors
- Steel wire reinforced
- Fire retardant – Flammability Index 1
- Tested & certified to all relevant AS & WHS regulations
- Easy & economical installation & removal
- Can be attached to scaffolding with cable ties/KwikAz clips
- Identifiable by red strip within the mesh
- 50mm x 50mm grid with shade element
- Prescribed lining is steel wire reinforced
- 3 year warranty – we guarantee Uni-mesh™ FR rolls will stay fit for purpose for a 3 year period.
SIZE & WEIGHT
- 0.95m x 10m – 7.95 kg per roll
- 1.9m x 10m – 15.9 kg per roll
- Available colours: Black, blue & red (min. order QTY apply)
Reiterating, in order to keep up with the current and anticipated increase in demand, Uni-span will only be manufacturing Fire Retardant Uni-mesh™ moving forward.
If you have current/pending Uni-mesh™ (non-FR) orders, please contact your Uni-span sales representative to discuss the progress of this order, or what alternative options are available.
For further information on Uni-mesh™ FR (Fire Retardant), follow the links below:
Or simply contact:
QLD – Clint on 0411 234 500 or email email@example.com
NSW – Ben on 0439 537 727 or email firstname.lastname@example.org